Monday, May 25, 2009

Gotta shoot em in the head. (L4D quick rant)

Now, I finally got L4D to work, though it doesn't always, but for the most part its solid. Took me a while, and I have to reboot my computer every now and again, but hey, you get to kill zombies. So, what do I think?

Its awesome. When you get 3 other people to play, and you really work together, it really changes the way you think of multiplayer. Most games make the multiplayer after the main game is completed, or vica versa (Deathmatch, CTF) or just tack it on (Co-op) and, granted, its fun, but it always seemed artificial to me. But L4D changed that for me. It does Co-op and Deathmatch RIGHT. No silly tacked on implements, everything feels smooth and natural. The zombies are fun to play, if not hard as hell to play well, but the humans are easily my favorite aspect of the game. You instantly have a small sense of camaraderie with these 3 strangers, which is awesome. You cant survive without these guys, and the same to them. Now thats not the case every time you play, most of the time, the guys will call out if they find weapons and ammo, and wait until you come get it because you all depend on eachother that much. Its great.

One problem I do have is the lack of campaigns, but thats a small complaint, because theres a surprising amount of replay-ability. For those who dont know, the game gets harder the better you do, and easier the more times you bite it.

Those are my early reactions, expect a full review later.

No comments:

Post a Comment